Thursday, February 17, 2011

Remodeling and Decorating - Could've been a career, remained a passion

I love to remodel and to decorate.  My mother was constantly redecorating, or should I say "decorating" as we were usually moving into a new house as Dad was transferred with his Navy career.

Mom has a great eye for color and design elements.  She is a fabulous seamstress, which came in handy when you are growing up on a military income.   I never acquired her taste for sewing, but my love for design and decor was seeded in those early years and it continues to thrive.

When I was a senior in High School I was able to go and visit my Uncle Ron in Laguna Beach California.  Uncle Ron was a sought after interior designer before we lost him to AIDS back in 1984.   His passion for creation of beautiful rooms, interior and exterior, residential and commerical, was contagious.  My thought was to go onto school and acquire my degree in Interior Design and follow in his footsteps as an Interior Decorator.   The job opportunity concerns, and my desire to stay in Iowa due to my relationship with Ron, my husband of 27 years now, as well as the growing career opportunities in computing let me to a degree and career as an Analyst (creative side of my work) and Database Administrator.  

However, my passion and interest in design and decor has never wained.

As Ron says, my mind never stops flowing with ideas.  His biggest concern is when I start a sentence with "I've been thinking..", because it usually ends with a new project, lots of work and usually money too!

We built our current home in 1993 and we love our neighborhood and our acreage so much that we don't intend to sell and build a new home, but that means re-investing in our current home which as come to be an anuual deposit.  We've redone bedrooms, the basement, bathrooms, commandeered space from the garage to do a mudroom/laundry room and re-done the back entry way.  

We are now embarking on a small remodel of the kitchen.  Ok, so as Ron say's, we needed to replace our Microwave (which was a wedding present from his Mom), which has led to replacing some cabinets, doing a new island and replacing the kitchen floor... expensive Microwave. :)  Isn't that how remodeling an re-decorating go though, a little idea of - I could do this, that leads to, but then I would need to do that... you all know the rest of the story.

As we are part way through our kitchen remodeling project I thought it might be fun to journal the process.  That "thought" has led to this blog - which will probably be read by me only, but it will be a fun place to get some ideas down and to gets some thoughts off my chest - so, here I am, at my Remodeling and Decorating, Ideas Keep Flowing Blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment